Successfully managing and running a real estate property — whether it’s commercial or multifamily — is about more than just the day-to-day. Planning for the future is the only way you can protect yourself from wasted time, money and energy in the long term.
This is why facility planning professionals exist. Trying to anticipate future issues and complexities is nearly impossible as a tenant or owner, especially if you are new to this real estate business. Let a facilities professional bring their expertise and knowledge to the table to create a facilities plan that will keep you and your organization successful and productive for years to come.
If you’re looking for experienced facility planning and design services, look no further than CTG Real Estate Services. Our team is here to guide you through both short-term and long-term facilities plans to make your business the best it can be.
What is Facility Planning in Real Estate?
In order to understand facility planning and design, it’s important to understand the difference between facilities management and facilities planning. While both take into account the day-to-day functions of your real estate space, strategic facility planning also looks to the future. These long-terms plans prepare for and protect your space from any unexpected situations that may occur.
These unexpected situations can stem from anything, including external factors and internal factors affecting your commercial or multifamily space. That’s why it’s highly recommended that you work with an experienced professional for this step, as they will be able to address all of the potential issues and complexities that can arise over time.
Facilities planning in management of real estate often includes aspects such as:
- Disaster preparedness and recovery
- Long-term growth strategy
- Long-term approaches to day-to-day facilities management, including:
- Critical systems management
- Janitorial and housekeeping duties
- Maintenance and repair duties
- Hiring service vendors, like food trucks or fitness trainers
- Proactive/predictive maintenance
- Catering and hospitality services
- Business support services
- Environment, health and safety issues
- Security services
- Capital planning
In general, long-term planning of facilities takes the everyday safe operation and maintenance of a real estate property (and its systems) and views it from the standpoint of the future. Proper facilities planning management can save owners and tenants time, money and energy.
You will find that advantage with CTG Real Estate Services.
How to Create a Master Facility Plan for Your Space
When looking to create a facilities plan, tenants and owners can be easily confused by all the terms used to describe these services.
Facilities strategy planning encompasses many different aspects of managing a real estate property. Ultimately, only the tenant or owner who knows the space in detail will know what issues need to be addressed in a facilities plan.
Often, a master facility plan is the place to start. This plan takes into account many long-term projects like:
- Assessments of zoning, regulations and covenants
- Programming of space use
- Workflow analyses
- Engineering assessments and plans
- Concept site plans (or campus plans for larger properties)
- Long-term maintenance plans
- Phasing plans (or the sequence of projects to complete)
A strategic facilities management plan builds on a master facility plan by adding analyses of what aspects are driving each individual project. For example, it may include an IT plan, a brand assessment, an organizational structure plan and more.
If you do not have a long-term facility management plan in place, you’re not alone. Many tenants and owners take steps for day-to-day facilities management but don’t go far enough to plan for the future. In reality, long-term strategic facility planning plays a huge role in determining the short-term tactical plans of the business or organization.
Your facilities planner will talk with you in depth about your organization and real estate space to create the perfect long-term plan for you. They may ask you questions like:
- What is your plan for emergencies? What if your utilities fail and your building is damaged? What steps will be taken and how will you ensure your employees can get their jobs done?
- What is your growth strategy? Do you see yourself growing out of this space? How will you prepare for future growth and, if necessary, adjust your space layout and planning to accommodate that future growth if you want to stay in the same space?
- How do your existing facilities work with your organizations’ culture and goals, and will they continue to provide the support you need moving forward?
What will be included in your facilities management plan will be unique based on your organization’s goals, size, objectives and more. There is no “one size fits all” solution if you want to secure the success and productivity of your organization and property moving forward.
How CTG Real Estate Services Can Help
By nature, facility planners must have an intricate knowledge of how real estate properties work. But our professionals at CTG Real Estate Services don’t just have an academic understanding of this; our CEO and founder Chris Gardner has been in your shoes and knows exactly what to do.
CTG Real Estate Services is more than a strategic facilities planning company. We offer services to tenants and owners through every step of their real estate development process — from locating a space to moving in to planning for the future. This expertise better informs the facilities plans we create and brings a huge benefit to the clients who choose to work with us.
Whether you have just moved into a new space or are looking to complete a long-needed facilities management plan, our team can help — and can also offer you the advantages of our turnkey real estate solutions for any other services you may need.
Want to learn more? Schedule a consult with our professionals today.